Tuesday, August 19, 2008

OBAMA HITS BACK AT McCAIN OVER IRAQ WAR: ACCUSES McCAIN OF QUESTIONING HIS PATRIOTISM

Obama hits back at McCain over Iraq war
Obama tells military veterans that McCain is wrong to question his character and patriotism

BETH FOUHYAP News
Aug 19, 2008 09:37 EST

http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=304398

Democrat Barack Obama challenged his Republican opponent John McCain on Tuesday to stop questioning his "character and patriotism."

Addressing the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention, Obama reaffirmed his early opposition to the U.S. invasion of Iraq and said the so-called "surge" strategy of sending 30,000 additional troops to Iraq last year had not produced the political reconciliation necessary to achieve lasting peace in the country. McCain supported the Iraq invasion and was an early champion of the surge.


"These are the judgments I've made and the policies that we have to debate, because we do have differences in this election," Obama said. "One of the things that we have to change in this country is the idea that people can't disagree without challenging each other's character and patriotism.

I have never suggested that Sen. McCain picks his positions on national security based on politics or personal ambition. I have not suggested it because I believe that he genuinely wants to serve America's national interest. Now, it's time for him to acknowledge that I want to do the same.

"Let me be clear: I will let no one question my love of this country," Obama said to applause.

No comments: