Wednesday, January 2, 2008

54 JOURNALISTS KILLED IN IRAQ IN 2007

54 journalists killed in Iraq in 2007 - IJRDA

http://tinyurl.com/29uyro

Baghdad - Voices of Iraq
Wednesday , 02 /01 /2008 Time 9:02:54


Baghdad, Jan 2, (VOI)- The annual report of the Iraqi Journalists’ Rights Defending Association (IJRDA) said on Wednesday that working as a journalist in Iraq remains the most dangerous job in the world, noting that a total of 54 journalists and media workers have been killed in the country during 2007.
"Journalists, reporters and media staffs face arresting malicious lawsuits, which negatively affect the freedom of expression and the press work in the country," the IJRDA said in its report received by the independent news agency voices of Iraq (VOI)."The absence of a legislation which organizes the media work in Iraq creates many problems and misleads journalists, who face lawsuits for publishing untrue news," it added."Arresting and suing campaigns against journalists require quick action to support and defend them before the court," the statement also said."The Iraqi Journalists’ Rights Defending Association launched a legal division, defense committee, and telephone hotline on August 18 for Iraqi journalists facing libel or defamation lawsuits. The IJRDA would provide lawyers, free of charge, to any journalist accused of violating publishing regulations. The group advertised the hotline contact information in Iraqi newspapers and with news agencies," said the association's release."A total of 54 journalists have been killed in 2207. Most of the fatalities have taken place in Baghdad and Ninewa. All of the attacks were launched by unknown gunmen," the release explained."31 journalists have been detained, 10 kidnapped, 6 of them were freed later, while 4 still missing," it noted.Unidentified gunmen, suicide bombers, and U.S. military activity all posed fatal risks for Iraqi journalistsThe IJRDA called on the Iraqi parliament to discuss raids against media institutions issue.The Paris-based Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said last October that 54 journalists and media workers have been killed in Iraq since the beginning of 2007, while the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) said that a total of 234 journalists have been killed in the country since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003.The watchdog had placed Iraq in 157 rank in its annual press freedom index."The Iraqi journalists were killed by armed groups or militias angered by their coverage or ideologically opposed to their employers. Others were caught in crossfire," it highlighted."The situation in Iraq deteriorated further during the year as the safety of journalists became more precarious," RSF added.“Working as a journalist in Iraq remains one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet,” said Committee to Protect Journalists CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon.

9 comments:

woke said...

Only 66 kia during the ENTIRE Vietnam War, 16 years.

And they were NOT imbedded for safety.

Perhaps that is the problem?

I heard a journalist on pbs detailing how he insured he was dressed in native garb, not western clothing, whenever he travelled thoughout Iraqnam.

Bring our troops home now

Bill Corcoran said...

Hey WOKE. What a great surprise seeing you on my site. Spread the word around if you don't mind.

I remember how you used to post about the number of journalists killed in Nam.

I saw your post on my Dec. 23 post after Marie Therese removed all the comments. I'm sure you read what I posted on Johnny Dollar. If not, go here: http://homepage.mac.com/mkoldys/blog/lvu220806184.html

Check out all the comments. They are will. Really great of you to stop by. Come back again.

Bill

woke said...

Bill

I will post this blog addy. I have tried to not post so much on NH as it became addictive for me to do so.....some sort of catharsis for my PTSD that i cannot explain. I too, had some difficulty in the past with a certain NH mod and learned to limit my posts on that person's threads. I, too, spoke with other NH about the situation and was told, that person is young and difficult to deal with at times.???

I have heard MT quit and there are little to no remarks posted about it????

Sorry to hear that.

There are a couple of posts in the forum about your demise. The most damning of them was that you posted what you did on Dollar's site. A confirmed neocon supporter and NH nemisis.

Keep posting TRUTH to power and ignore the other bs.

Honor the warriors, not the war.

Bill Corcoran said...

Hi Woke:
It can be addictive. Take care of your health.

I saw everything about me on the Forum. I just wanted to set the record straight and somebody suggested I used Johnny$ to do it and that is what I did.

The person WE are talking IS young. I have the DVD of "OutFoxed" and they have one section of the video devoted to the women who were doing the research for the video and eventually became the "newshounds." Each one is interviewed and you get to see what they look like. If you have a DVD player, you might want to pick up the DVD version of "OutFoxed" Don't bother with the VHS (video) version because it doesn't have the section devoted to the women from NH.

I was told by Chris (Marie Therese) that she was furious when she was left out of the "loop" when our young friend and her buddies decided they were going to limit me to posting ONLY about Ollie North and Geraldo Rivera. She almost quit right then and there. She told me it was not the first time little miss know-it-all left her out of discussions about the blog. Marie Therese is a nice person, but her loyalty to NH is misplaced IMO. After reading what Vince P wrote on Johnny $ I'm more convinced than ever that the Queen Bee of NH used my IP to ban me from my own post, but not other posts on NH. In fact, in the Haloscan website they explain how a client (that would be NH) could single out certain people to block from posting and even block them from posting on only ONE post on NH. That is exactly what happened to me and I'm convinced the person we've been talking about is the one behind it. She is a "young" tyrant and I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw the Sears Tower.

Keep comming back.

Anonymous said...

Bill:

I find this bizarre, you and Vince P in agreement. Oh well, life takes strange turns.

Bill Corcoran said...

TR and WOKE: I don't know if you saw this or not, but this is what Vince P. had to say about this whole thing and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Bill , it's obvious they banned you by IP adress and then they were playing stupid.

If you use AOL then the IP number you have is some random IP that AOL controls... if you're using the AOL browser.

If you use your OS's browser then your ISP IP is used.

I found the NH IP blocking sort of resets itself after a week or so, freeing the blocked IPs.

So dont let them lie to you... someone there banned you and then was too cowardly to own up to it.

NH is the home for lies and slander. There is no honor there. Just blind hatred toward non-leftists.
Vince P | Homepage | 01.01.08 - 5:05 pm | #

woke said...

Interesting, but because of my run in's with 'that' person, it would not suprise me.

What DOES suprise and concdern me is you comporting with the likes of Vince P AND J. DOLLAR.

These people are either extremely indoctrinated and /or deluded people.....or are just in it for the money.
Either way, they work totally counter to your objectives of bringing the TRUTH about iraqnam and the neocons to light, imho.

Regardless of that, it is a sad state of affairs that divides those of us attempting to speak truth to power and make a change of the fascists who are currently running our country.

I find it difficult to post on any site. I have posted a few bits on NH since your demise, but i have little enthusiasm for it now.

Honor the warriors, not the war

woke

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but Vince does have a good point with respect to the IPs.

Bill Corcoran said...

WOKE and TR:

I was just searching for the truth abot why I could NOT post on my own post, but could post on any other NH post and nobody from NH was giving me a satisfactory answer.

Put your self in my place. I worked hard at trying to present a good post every Sunday, and then suddenly because I didn't go along with Ellen and her "gang of five" idea that I should limit my writing to ONLY Ollie North and Geraldo, I mysteriously started to get "banned" from my making comments on my OWN post. I will never buy into any explanation other than Ellen knows how to ban someone by what Haloscan explains on their website how you can ban certain mamember from making a comment. That is exactly what Ellen did to me IMO.

The one I feel sorry for is Marie Therese, or Chris. She was left out of all the discussions and then was given the job of trying to cool me down. She wasn't being told that the banning of me was an "inside" job at NH and they left Marie Therese hanging out there twisting in the wind.

No wonder she is quitting as of Jan. 22. I don't blame her.

So maybe it is unlikely to find solace with Vince P, but at least he seems to explain what happened when nobody from NH was telling me anything.

Take care guys.